Friday 25 March 2011

St.Patrick's day and Pancake tueday

March is a magical month that rings in new beginnings with the onset of the Spring season and clocks going forward for much needed longer days .Hence, there are also many cultural events to commemorate Spring like 'Pancake tuesday' in the United Kingdom, 'Mardigras' in France and in many other countries, just like we have 'Pongal' and 'Makar sankranti' celebrated in January in India with a similar significance.
Bluebells mushrooming in the woods, delightful daffodils blossoming all over the parks,white woolly apple blossoms and pink fluffy cherry blossoms in abundance in their peak bloom remind me of the magical moments I had over four years ago in the month of march discovering these delights of nature with the first time visitors of Scotland like my sister Nazia, my good friends Jim and Carmen and their lovely daughter-Morgan who came from abroad for my ' ceilidh '(traditional scottish folk dance with a live band using classical musical instruments) which was the wedding reception in Glasgow for my husband's clan and friends organised by my in-laws.

I prepare a typical ' Irish Stew ' occasionally which is really easy and a comforting casserole dish which is an all in one meal and a favourite Irish classic served with bread. We also savour 'Scotch Pancakes' which are like sweet wee 'appams', served with blueberries and maple syrup for 'Shrove tuesday'. Scotch pancakes are smaller and slightly thicker than 'Crepes' or 'English pancakes' and remind me of my childhood memories of starting the day with ' cheele ' ( dosas ) for breakfast as per the typical south-indian culinary tradition .